The Proposed Development
The proposed development comprises the demolition of all existing buildings within the site and the erection of a part 2, part 3, part 4 storey building to accommodate a Lidl foodstore at ground floor level and 42no. apartments above the store. The proposed building is two storeys high at Brighton Road, rising to four storeys high at the rear of the site.
Vehicular access into both the retail and residential car parks is directly off Brighton Road. Lidl’s delivery vehicle will utilise the same access point, drive into the site in forward gear and reverse into the loading bay within the confines of the site. All store waste will be collected during store deliveries, thereby minimising daily HGV movements in and out of the site. The ancillary space extends to 440m².
A total of 105no. car parking spaces are proposed (63no. for the foodstore and 42no. for residential use). The spaces for the store include 4no. disabled spaces and 3no. parent and child spaces which are positioned close to the customer entrance. The existing vehicular access from Brighton Road will be stopped up.
The customer entrance is located on Brighton Road with a full height glazed shopfront and provides an active frontage along Brighton Road. The cycle racks are located to the front of the store. These have been positioned in a prominent location which is highly visible from Brighton Road to encourage use.
Our proposals for the redevelopment of the site comprise the following:
- Demolition of all existing buildings;
- Full site remediation and enabling works;
- A mixed-use development comprising a Lidl foodstore at ground level (1,063m² sales area) and 42no. apartments over three floors above the store;
- A mix of tenures including private and affordable housing;
- Provision of 63no. retail car parking spaces and 42no. residential parking spaces;
- Hard landscaping with materials from Croydon Council’s Public Realm Design Guide.
- A total of 42no. apartments and a mix of 1, 2, and 3 beds;
- Tenures comprising private and affordable accommodation;
- Generous communal amenity space extending to 739m² and private balcony space to all units;
- Direct access for residents out to the South Croydon Recreation Ground to the rear;
- Code for Sustainable Homes Level 4.
The proposed building has been designed to respond to the local context and buildings within the immediate built environment. The overall height of the building has been limited to four storeys in order that it relates to its surrounding uses. A quality palette of materials will be used, which not only seeks to reflect Lidl’s corporate specification, but also recognises the predominant materials used within the surrounding area. The high quality, contemporary design of the proposed development represents a significant improvement to the existing site, which currently detracts from the character of Brighton Road and the neighbouring recreation ground.
The redevelopment of the site will provide the following benefits to the local area:
- Redevelopment of a brownfield site;
- New local employment opportunities;
- Contribution to local housing provision;
- Provision of a new discount foodstore within an area where retail choice is limited;
- Enhanced competition and social inclusion;
- High quality design;
- Improvement to the visual amenity of Brighton Road and its environs.